- Listening files for Keep Your Lamps are now available
- A new listening file for T2 in Blazhen Muzh has been posted that should be more helpful
01-01-2018 HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
I’ve been back and forth with our guests for the April concert (formerly #BS, new name to be announced), discussing shared repertoire. At this point, it’s looking like:
Biebll, Ave Maria (Our guests will do the small ensemble part):
Halley, Sound Over All Waters (Still under discussion, could be replaced with something else):
And for our own set, Lawry, Welcome to the Choir
I will need a set up and tear down crew prior to the concert and post concert I will be asking names
Tickets: Adults $20, Students $10; get them from Ray at rehearsal
- Ladies: Black Shirt 3/4 length to full sleeve; Black pants or skirt (past the knee)
Black socks or hose; Black shoes ( little to no heel, remember we are standing for an extended period of time); Minimal Jewelry.
- Gents: Black Dress Shirt (please make sure it makes friends with an iron prior); Black tie – OPTIONAL; Black Dress pants; Black dress shoes (No, brown or blue are not black).
- ABSOLUTELY NO SCENTED PRODUCTS – we have several chorus members who are allergic to these products so please NO HAIRSPRAY, NO SCENTED LOTION, NO PERFUME.
Updated directions to the Weaver Auditorium/B200 for our Dec 6 rehearsal:
Enter the building through the Student Centre doors which are right across from the Visitor’s Parking. Walk down the ramp and right at the beginning of the long windowed hallway on your left is the entrance to B200.
Enter the usual way to the NipU entrance. Take the hallway diagonally off to the right, then turn right past the NUSU office, through the glass doors. The Weaver/B200 will be on your right.
Listening files for Garden Hymn have now been posted to the Choristers’ Page.
Practice Materials: PDFs and Performance audio for all of our repertoire, and individual part listening files for most of our repertoire, have now been posted to the Choristers’ Page. If you have forgotten the password and didn’t get an information package in the first rehearsal, contact us.
Rehearsals now on FB Live: Remote participation in rehearsals for folks who are on the road will now be through Facebook Live (with some exceptions, where Skype can still be used). If you missed rehearsal, you can find the recording posted to our Facebook Members’ Group. We’re still trying to figure out how to give access to people who aren’t on Facebook. In the meantime, if you’re not on Facebook yet, this would be a good time to sign up; you can customize your personal page so that nobody can see it or look it up, but you’d still be able to access everything on FB.
Announcing the repertoire for our January 2018 concert:
(You can click on each title for a link to a YouTube video)
- Wearmouth, Magnetic North
- Bibby (arr.) Frobisher Bay
- Quartel, Wide Open Spaces (TTBB)
- Thomas (arr.), Keep Your Lamps (TTBB)
- Mantyjarvi, El Hambo
- Nystedt, Laudate Dominum
- Pederson, Jeg Vil Mig Herren Love
- Rachmaninoff, Blessed is the Man
- Stenhammar, I Seraillets Have (Octet)
- Thorvaldsdottir, Heyr þú oss himnum á
- Smiley (arr.), Visa Fran Jarna (SSA)
- Edenroth, I sing you sing
- O’Shea, Despietate (Octet)
- Gjeilo, Northern Lights
- Gjeilo, Dark Night of the Soul
- Gjeilo, Luminous Night of the Soul
- Our first rehearsal of 2017-2018 will be on Wednesday September 6 in Room F210 off the front lobby of Nipissing University. Meet-and-greet and refreshments, orientation, range and pitching checks for new members begin at 6:00 p.m., and our rehearsal begins at 7:00. Bring a pencil and a sense of humour. Returning and new/prospective Consecutive Education students: We look forward to welcoming you on September 11. Membership in Near North Voices is open to students, staff and faculty at Nipissing University and Canadore College, as well as to members of the North Bay and area community. Choral Scholarships are available to qualified high school students. For more information, see our About Us, Listen to NNV, and Contact Us pages.
- A reminder about parking: Paid/permit parking on campus is now enforced until 11:00 p.m. Community members and anyone who doesn’t hold a permit will have to park in the central visitors’ lot and pay at the machine.
- Men: Black dress pants and long-sleeve shirt, black socks and dress shoes. Black tie optional. No boots. Blue or brown are NOT black. Please visit an iron prior to the concert.
- Women: Black dress, or black skirt/pants with black shirt, black hose/socks and dress shoes. Minimum 3/4 length sleeve; skirts/dresses to just above the knee or longer; nothing tight-fitting; no flashy jewelry, no spiky heels or open-toe/open-back shoes.
- Absolutely no perfume, cologne, body spray, spray-on deodorant, hair spray, scented hair products, scented hand lotions, etc.
PC/Windows Users — If you have a laptop and are experiencing difficulties, UTS (University Technology Services) have said they are willing to have a look, for any members of our choir. Room A139. You might want to call first, 705-474-3450, x.4342 or email email@example.com.
- This document features a number of suggested solutions found online:
Possible Media Player and File Download Solutions for Windows Users
- The following documents were prepared by Devon last year to help solve problems for one of our choristers: Accessing midi files in Windows fix, Chrome Extension Install help
We have a Facebook Group that is a great way to communicate with people within the choir. If you are on FB, please search and join, like it and link news to your own page.
We also have a public Facebook Page where we post concert announcements and information for the community: